Sunday, December 15, 2019

It's Happening

Me and My New Companion, Elder Cohen
I got transferred to Lincoln heights!

I tell ya, this is the most stressed I have ever been while driving. Already there have been multiple times where we should have been involved in accidents because of the intense driving of the locals here in the big city, but I'm okay, and so is the car. (my parents would be proud)

So I realized once I got to the area that I may have said that I was going to be Marshallese, but it is actually going to be Swahili.

Elder Schelenberg, Elder Bartschie and I
last day of last transfer 








My companion is fluent in both English and Swahili, already we have been able to visit lots of Swahili families. My companion even taught Come Follow Me for them in Swahili at church yesterday. As for me, I do a bit more than I thought I would. When we teach the people we teach ask my companion to translate so I can be apart of the conversation (they are a really patient people). This is such a cool area to serve.

The members here are very missionary minded. There are a few things they do that I am not used to, nobody is perfect. Anyways, we have lots of opportunities to have members come with us to teach in this area. We have it set up so that a member will come with us every Tuesday and Thursday night, for the whole night driving us around and participating in lessons (I have not had the chance to participate in this yet, but it sounds sweet.)

Me, Out and A Boat
There is a whole mix of different people and communities in Spokane. When we volunteered at the local food bank lots of Slovak people came in. Among them there are Swahili, Marshallese and Spanish people all over Spokane with all the Chinese population down in Moscow. We have a lot of work to do.

Magic Zone Leaders












So far the people we have met have been nice, but there was this one guy who was overall interesting! We entered his yard and on his porch he had a small knee high gate, we pass it and knock on his door, we knock just once or even the same way so we taped on the glass of his door to see if we could get anyone to come to the door. Once he came out he was in a foul mood. He said "did you open the gate on your way in!" we say yes. " Well, close it on your way out!" "how would you like it if I came to your home and knocked on your door!". To that we responded by telling him that we both lived far away and that it would be very hard to find (which is true) and to that he says, "Oh yea give me your address, you think you're being funny!" (apparently it was not this guy's day). Then my companion says that he was from Kenya and at this point he finally gave up. Everybody else has been quite a bit nicer than he was. 

He dropped his GAINS!
He was a disappointed schellen. (inside jokes) 


Thanks for all the support and love that ya'll send my way, if you want to send me anything you will have to go to my blog, there you will find the address for my mission office, from there they will send it to my current address in Spokane. 


No comments:

Post a Comment