Sunday, February 23, 2020

And A Contrite Spirit


Great Hike on P-Day

If you couldn't guess, I have a broken heart.

This was my second Valentine's Day in the mission. I just need a valentine of my own, maybe next year ðŸ˜†. (Job 7:13) 

Winter is coming to a close. I can finally go out without any thermals on and still be comfortable. At least until the sun goes down, then the temperature goes down like our hopes, when somebody tells us they will come to church then don't show up☹️. 

Anyways we have some difficult news. The only people we can count as having gone to church are now people above the age of 8, so now we won't even come close to getting 29 people to church again on paper. But it's alright we manage to still get loads of people to join us every Sunday for the Swahili classes my companion teaches. 
View From the Hike

This week we went on lots of exchanges. I first went with Elder Weight, our Zone Leader. We had a good time talking with lots of homeless people. A few of them had left everything behind at a place they once called home to get away from toxic relationships. Many of them were looking for ways to put their foot in the door of the community, mostly looking for opportunities work. We pointed them in the direction of a street with plenty of businesses to choose from. We also invited them to church telling them that some of the members might have better advice than we would, but unfortunately none of them managed to come to church still. I just hope they found what they needed. 
Cool Pictures from the Hike

We found that one of the people we are teaching, besides having enough on his plate with stressful work, has been having sleeping issues. He has a problem holding his breath during the night and this causes him to wake up and loose valuable sleep time. 

We told him that his burdens would be eased in such a way that he could bear them, (much like in Mosiah 24) only if he tries to rely on the teachings of Christ. He has told us time and time again that meeting with us has already been a huge blessing in his life. Now he prays daily without being asked, and he even reads the scriptures and finds peace in them. But he is unsure about what more he can do to improve his life. We hope he will take our words to heart and deepen his conversion of Christ. 
Hike

The other exchange was a handful.
We visited a Swahili person even though my companion (the actual Swahili speaker) went to the other area, so that wasn't very well thought through. But we had a good lesson anyway, I guess the spirit translated for us or something because I had no idea what was going on.
We visited an appointment complex full of old people, who all stank of Marijuana, I can't believe just how many places here in Spokane are just full of that smell, it's getting old fast. 

Today we went on a hike, and it reminded me al lot of Utah, except it was muddy and I couldn't keep from laughing because nobody else (even a few from Utah) brought good hiking shoes, and they all kept slipping. I got some great pictures though so look out. 

Ants Invading our Apartment

1 Nephi 7:17 
"the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying: Arise, and get thee into the mountain. And it came to pass that I arose and went up into the mountain, and cried unto the Lord." 
(how's that for a scripture, moment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment