Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Good, The Bad, and the Missionaries

Well, like the title says some good things happened and some bad things. Let's start with the good.

The Abridged Version of Exchange Day

We had a companion exchange for a day and that was fun, I was with Elder Vazquez, and we did a little tracting in the 3rd ward.  We wanted to pray whenever we made a decision so we could make to most out of our excursion.  We prayed to know what rode to take first, then we prayed to know which house to knock on first, and then BAM we found a family who had been visited by missionaries months before.  They enjoyed our company and asked us what time church was at, (MIND BLOWN power of prayer is real).  After that fun experience we mostly found angry annoyed people, who did not want to be bothered.  Later that day we had a blitz and a few lessons planned. 

(For those of you who don't know what a blitz is, it is when the whole district of missionaries go tracting in another missionary's ward. Those we find who have potential are referred to the missionaries who are in charge of that ward.)

Hiking Today

During our blitz we found one family who's father was baptized in the church when he was young, but didn't stick with the church. He was super nice and supportive of us and let us teach the restoration to their family, and that lesson went super well.  After that lesson and telling them where the church was we found two more people with potential.  One of them was a young lady who was just babysitting some kids, but she told us that the family would love to hear our message.  The next one was not as interested as the other two but they invited us to come back the next day.  Fingers crossed for them.

Later that night we had a lesson planned at the coolest home ever. Elders Vazquez and Schellenberg found this family the previous night.  The mother and father had deep connections to the church, but they themselves don't go to church. The other Elders told me when they found these guys they said that they were here to serve us missionaries. They said they know what we commit to as missionaries, and they would do anything in their power to make us more comfortable, like making us meals and giving us rides.  We had prepared the lesson of the restoration, and it was the best lesson I have taught so far. The whole family was super interested and invested in what we had to say. We gave them 3 copies of the Book of Mormon, along with a card that would give them an app for it.

Still Hiking

Did I forget to mention how we got to the lesson?  We rode our bikes, in the snow, slush ,and ice.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy riding bikes, and even more recently I have been enjoying how tight my legs are after we turn in for the day. Riding in snow is fun!

 (I don't know how to be sarcastic in an email so I'll just tell you that was sarcasm.)

The next day we were looking for service opportunities, but instead, found an old inactive member. We asked her if she could ever use help, and she told us she usually likes help, but her son just moved in with her.  No service for us.  On the way home (on our bikes) we hit a curb wrong, we are ok but my bike!!!.... my $55 fenders that are supposed to last my entire mission, they broke, one is barely hanging on and the other lost a screw that kept it on. (The fenders keep mud and dirty water from getting on my clothes while riding the bike)  My only real moment of frustration so far on my mission. 

Wow! What a Hike!

Thank you all for your support so far, I love getting letters and email from you guys. 

For those who have been concerned this far.  First yes, I get fed by members, my mission no longer allows meals with members on Monday through Friday, because it cuts into prime teaching time. So we have member diners scheduled up for us, and on the other days we can't eat at members houses, they simply drop off food for us, we are well fed.

Second, yes I am warm, I know what I'm doing, although Idaho has more humidity than Utah, where I was raised has a higher elevation and is even colder than here.

Thirdly, I have received all the letters and emails you have sent me, though I can't respond on any day except Monday, I can see what you sent me all throughout the week, and we only check our mailbox on Sundays, because we are so busy with studying for lessons.

More Hike

Our apartment is going to try buying food separate so we can see how good the others are with budgeting, and if they can come to appreciate what they but and not scarf it all up in the first few days. If you have any tips for me or those in my apartment please let us know.  (Right now they are arguing about whether or not to go through with this, and the older elders and saying no and that we should all pitch in with the groceries, and myself and Elder Vazquez are wanting to find out of we can save more and actually have money at the end of the month.) 

Oh I almost forgot, the title says some bad stuff happened as well.  So it turns out  Earl's baptism has to be delayed because something in his life came up. Which is a bummer, he was going to be baptized this Saturday.

That's it for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment